LONG EXPOSURES TWO


45 minute exposure


32 minute exposure


LONG EXPOSURES TWO

 

Developing on from my first long exposure shot, I changed the positioning of the camera from in front to facing the back of my head and the monitor.

My aim for this shoot was to capture the idea of time this time from a different angle as if someone was looking over your shoulder. I also wanted the viewer of the shot to see what I was doing.

My first shot I set the aperture to f22 and the shutter speed of 45 minutes. As with my other long exposure shots I used a remote triggered release, allowing my to control the camera remotely.  Once the photograph was taken it then took over thirty minutes for the camera to process the file. I imagine it took a while longer because I was shooting in RAW and the file size is larger.  Over all I think the shot worked well, the shot gives the illusion that you can see right though my head. Some image is also present on the monitor, right in the center of the back of my head, I imagine this is because that was the one spot where my head did not move as much creating a perfect exposure over time.  Things that need developing on in this shot is the overall composition on the shot, because the PC tower is present in the shot and just distracts you from the focal points which is the head and the monitor. The exposure of the needs changing also, parts of the monitor have been completely bleached out.

RAW files, these files are compressed "losslessly". The real advantage of using a RAW format file is that it has received almost no processing by the camera. No sharpening or White Balance will have been applied. What you have with a RAW file is essentially a digital camera's "negative" or original.”

My second shot, taking into consideration the exposure time. As for the composition of the shot I would need to move several items around just to get the right shot. As I’m only experimenting with techniques at this point I did not feel this was necessary, the use of cropping when editing my help to show what I’m trying to accomplish.  What I did change in this shot was the exposure time. My first shot was 45 minutes and this shot 32 minutes, I was expecting a tremendous change in the exposure of the shot. When it actually came to looking at the finished image this was not true. The exposure looks about the same overall, in some areas looks to be exposed more than the first. In this shot the monitor is completely bleached out, the only thing to explain this would be the movement of my head and that in he first shot I was just lucky to get some of the image present on the screen. This could also be the reason for the rest of the shot being more exposed than the first.



No comments: